Tracks From The Past
Track: Ascot – Los Angeles, California
Dates: 1904 – 1919
Note: Ascot was located on the site of an old Los Angeles County Fairgrounds.
- One mile dirt oval (06/11/1904 – 4/15/1916. Opened as a horse track in 1903.
- One mile concrete oval (11/30/1916 – 1/11/1920).
- Joe Boyer won last auto race on 11/27/1919. Last race was a motorcycle race.
- Ran Midget races in April 1914 and 3/21/1915.
- Located at Central and Florence Avenues. Now site of a Goodyear Tire Plant.
Track: Ascot Park – Los Angeles, California
Dates: 1957 – 1990Note: First called Ascot on 9/18/1959.
- 1/2 mile dirt oval (5/30/1957 – Nov. 1990). aka: New Ascot Stadium. aka: Bill McKay's Los Angeles Speedway
- Ran their first NASCAR
GN race on 5/30/1959, won by Parnelli Jones.
- 1/4 mile dirt oval (1/27/1963 – 1990).
- 3/4 mile dirt road course (9/22/1959). Located on South Vermont Street.
- 4/10 mile dirt road course (11/22/1959). Ran TQ on small road course.
- 1/4 mile dirt figure 8 course (1962 – 1969).
- Don Bronson and Dick Atkins were fatally injured her on 11/12/1966.
- The late J.C. Agajanian was the 1977 RPM Promoter of the Year.
- After J.C.'s death, his son's Cary (1986 RPM Promoter of the Year), Chris and J.C. Jr. ran the now. Site is now industrial area.
- The annual Turkey Night Grand Prix is one of the major events on the midget car series calender.
- It was held at Ascot Park from 1960 – 1990. Since 1999, it has been held at Irwindale Speedway.
Track: Irwindale Speedway – Irwindale, California
Dates: 1999 – Present
Note: Located in the general area was Irwindale Raceway in Irwindale, California.
- 1/4 mile paved dragstrip (1957 – 1961).
- 1/10 mile paved oval (3/05/1961 – 3/12/1961). Ran TQ midgets on oval track.
- The site is now a Miller Brewing Plant.
- Irwindale Speedway – (3/27/1999 – Present).
- 1/3 mile paved oval (3/27/1999 – Present.) West of I-605 on Live Oak.
- 1/8 mile paved dragstrip (9/29/2001 – present).
- 1/3 mile pave figure 8 course (1999-present).